Phelps County PHA
Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8)
The Housing Choice Voucher Program is a major federal government program, helping very low income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market.
Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single family homes, manufactured homes, townhouses and apartments. The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects.
Housing Choice Vouchers are administered locally by Meramec Regional Planning Commission (MRPC). MRPC receives federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the Housing Choice Voucher Program through Phelps County PHA. A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family’s choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family’s present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the Phelps County PHA.
A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by Phelps County PHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program. Under certain circumstances, if authorized, a family may use its voucher to purchase a modest home.
Information for Perspective Tenants
- Online Application – Must have an email address to apply online
- Application to mail or place in the PHA drop box
- PHA Service Area
- Housing Choice Vouchers Fact Sheet
- Tenant Brochure
- Tenant Briefing Packet
- Family Self Sufficiency Brochure
- Missouri Affordable Housing Locator
- USDA Rural Development Multi-Family Housing Rentals
- Family Housing Briefing Video
Information for Perspective Landlords
- Landlord Brochure
- Owner Briefing Packet Part 1 of 2
- Owner Briefing Packet Part 2 of 2
- Housing quality standards FAQ
- Disclosure of Information on Lead-Based Paint
- Common Inspection Problems
- Lead-Based Paint Rule
- Waterheater Guidelines
- W9 – Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification
- Direct Deposit
- Rental Survey
Other Information of Interest
- Quality of Service Survey: Tell us about our service. Please print the form, complete it and mail or fax it back to us.
- Phelps County PHA Five-Year Plan
- DRAFT – PHA Annual Plan 2022
- Phelps County PHA Limited English Proficiency Plan 2008
- Missouri Landlord – Tenant Laws
The Emergency Broadband Benefit will provide a discount of up to $50 per month towards broadband service for eligible households and up to $75 per month for households on qualifying Tribal lands. Eligible households can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers if they contribute more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase price.
The Emergency Broadband Benefit is limited to one monthly service discount and one device discount per household. For more information, please visit https://www.fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit.
SAFHR Program for Renters and Landlords
The Missouri SAFHR programs are assistance programs administered by the Missouri Housing Development Commission, funded by the federal government COVID stimulus packages.
For more information on this program, please visit https://www.mohousingresources.com/.
Waivers Adopted Due to COVID-19
Waiver Name: SEMAP Score
Waiver Status/Term Expiration: APPROVED: Expiration 06/30/2022
Waiver Requested: Yes
Summary of relief from HUD Requirements: PHAs with a fiscal year end 3/31/22, 6/30/22, or 9/30/22, may request to waive the application of SEMAP in its entirety, only if the PHA has a SEMAP indicator affected directly or indirectly because of the disruption to PHA operations caused by its adoption of available CARES Act waivers.