Phelps County PHA
Phelps County PHA
Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8)
The Housing Choice Voucher Program is a major federal government program, helping very low income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market.
Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single family homes, manufactured homes, townhouses and apartments. The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects.
Housing Choice Vouchers are administered locally by Meramec Regional Planning Commission (MRPC). MRPC receives federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the Housing Choice Voucher Program through Phelps County PHA. A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family’s choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family’s present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the Phelps County PHA.
A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by Phelps County PHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program. Under certain circumstances, if authorized, a family may use its voucher to purchase a modest home.
Information for Potential Tenants
- Housing Choice Vouchers Fact Sheet
- Search for Houses – Socialserve.com provides an online directory of available housing.
- Tenant Brochure
- Homeownership – Explains eligibility for the Homeownership Program.
- Tenant Briefing Packet Part 1
- Tenant Briefing Packet Part 2
- Tenant Briefing Packet Part 3
- Family Self Sufficiency Program Brochure
Information for Potential Landlords
- List Your Property!
- Landlord Brochure
- Owner Briefing Packet Part 1 of 2
- Owner Briefing Packet Part 2 of 2
- Disclosure of Information on Lead-Based Paint
- Common Inspection Problems
- Lead-Based Paint Rule
- Waterheater Guidelines
- W9 – Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification
- Direct Deposit
- Rental Survey
Other Information of Interest
- Quality of Service Survey: Tell us about our service. Please print the form, complete it and mail or fax it back to us.
- Phelps County PHA Five-Year Plan
- Phelps County PHA Limited English Proficiency Plan 2008
- Missouri Landlord – Tenant Laws